Monday, June 10, 2002

Watty says:


Another week seems to have slipped by. Hmmm.

So, my excuse this week is - we had no hot water for two days. The boiler went out on Thursday. Yours truly replaced the thermocouple on Thursday night, but I couldn't get the pilot to light afterwards - turns out I had dislodged the electrode, and in any case the gas jet pipe was clogged (which is why it went out in the first place.) Could we get an engineer on Friday? Apparently there was some football match or other, so no-one was working. At all. Got someone out on Saturday, who took all of 8 minutes to repair the problem and relieve me of nearly £80. Harumph. Still, at least we can have showers again.

A side effect of the lack of hot water was that I had the opportunity to be naked at my place of work on Friday morning. Which is not something I would normally recommend to everyone, but was a most curious experience. I should explain - we have a shower room here, for the use of those who - actually, I'm not sure who it's for: people occasionally go for a run at lunchtime, and one or two have been known to cycle in in the mornings, but it's not heavily used. Still, even though it is behind two locked doors, it was very strange to be disrobing in the office. More thoughts on nakedness will follow, if I can get my act together.

No comments: