Tuesday, October 08, 2002

12:

Altered Images. I can't believe I have to admit to this. I'm not exactly embarrassed, but claiming to be young really isn't going to excuse all of it. Ah, well, those were altogether more innocent times. For each of the years I was at university, I had my summer van driving to keep me solvent; except (for some reason) for the summer of 1981. I have no idea why I was unemployed that summer, laziness was almost certainly part of the deal, though. I wasn't entirely idle, however - at least, I don't think I was... I do remember clearly redecorating the hallway and stairs in my parents' house. Now, I remember doing the whole thing myself, which is unlikely - it's more likely that I did a lot of the cleaning and painting and my father and I did the actual wallpapering. But no matter - what I remember is those few days of hard work, with my radio pemanently tuned to 'Wonderful Radio 1'. And I kept hearing, over and over, a nagging tune called 'Happy Birthday'. I hummed and whistled along, enjoying the jolliness and general amiability of the whole thing, and then I saw them - her - on Top of the Pops...


I finally understood what was meant by 'schoolboy crush'. The object of my crush was no older than I was, already clearly a major pop star (so that's another career choice closed off, then) and, well, just Clare. I'd like to tell you that I got over her very quickly, and chalked up schoolboy crushes to experience, but, well - have you seen Gregory's Girl? And I heard her on the radio only a few weeks ago, and there was still a spark there - unless that was indigestion...

No comments: