Friday, April 25, 2003

Watty's wanderings, part 2: (before I forget)

A few observations on things I saw on the way to Portmeirion - and on the way back, come to that:


  • I walked on a part of this route one day; and I discovered our neighbourhood quarry at Kensworth. Apparently, it has an underground pipeline which delivers its products to Rugby, over a hundred miles away. At least it keeps the disruptive traffic down. I made a mental note to do more walking - I wonder if I can keep my resolution?

  • I went checking up on Time Team - trekking around South London, I found two of the sites from the most recent series: Merton Abbey Mills, and Greenwich. Unsurprisingly, neither site showed any sign of having had enormous trenches cut into them. Surprisingly - to me, anyway - both the marvellous second-hand bookshops near those two sites have fallen into a state of some neglect. There is, as far as I can tell, now only one decent bookshop in Greenwich, and none at Merton. Which is not to say that I didn't find books there - I did - but that browsing was a depressing, rather than uplifting, experience. I fear for some of these places. And I do feel inspired to create my online bookshop database, but where would I find the time?

  • More later, possibly much later...

No comments: