Wednesday, September 04, 2002

39:

Gerard Hoffnung. This, like some of the other things on the list, is my father's fault. He had the books, which must be early editions, since they are hardbacks. I spent many happy evenings perusing Hoffnung's wonderful cartoons, and many of the things I know about classical music come, in some way or other, from them. He is also the originator of the bricklayer story, which I have heard attributed to dozens of different people - it's available on one of the BBC recordings in its original form - Hoffnung playing it straight while the audience goes into convulsions. (Even on the link I posted, it's treated as an urban legend, while at the same time being credited to Hoffnung)

Recommended for anyone who thinks that classical music is stuffy and lacking in humour.

No comments: