Thursday, May 23, 2002

Watty has a minor revelation:


I have just realised the truth about something which has bothered me for 20 years or so. We have been discussing Cameron's diet, and the fact that he may be mildly lactose intolerant - something which need not detain us here. I found myself saying "Of course, I stopped drinking milk 20 years ago. Nowadays, it gives me stomach cramps." I suddenly realised that I am the source of this intolerance. Gradually, as I got older, I found that I 'went off' dairy products, to the point where I don't take milk at all, cheese being my only real vice (you don't want to be a witness to me eating cereal entirely dry, but that's the way I eat it). Cheese doesn't affect me, apparently, because in hard cheeses, most of the lactose is broken down. I am slightly unnerved by this - I always thought I gave up milk in my coffee because I was an impoverished student, and it was so damn difficult to keep it fresh, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that it really does disagree with me. The things you learn...

No comments: