Monday, March 25, 2002

Watty clarifies:


OK, when I said dissatisfied with my life, I meant in a general, vague sensation that something's not quite right kind of way; not "I hate my life and I want to end it." I just thought that didn't come across too well.

Meanwhile:

Since the game in which this has been played will fade from the memory quicker than a very faint thing indeed; I thought I'd just record what appear currently to be my 8 Desert Island Discs:

  1. Mahler - 2nd Symphony. Don't really mind which version, but I love the way Rattle does it.
  2. Penguin Café Orchestra - Concert Program. Genius. Nuff said.
  3. Pink Floyd The Wall - Oh to be 17 again
  4. Verdi - Requiem Any recommendations for which version? I heard Solti do it magnificently at the Proms a few years ago...
  5. Van Morrison - One Night in San Francisco Just something about the performances on this album...
  6. Joni Mitchell - Hejira it's a desert island thing...
  7. Elvis Costello / Brodsky Quartet - The Juliet Letters It just nags and nags until you get it; then it never goes away...
  8. Bach - The Art of Fugue - Haven't even thought about which version - probably a brilliant pianist (is there a Glenn Gould? an Ashkenazy? A Schiff?) It's the mathematician in me


Of course, in 6 months it'll all be different - except for Mahler - but it's an interesting, and rather difficult, exercise. Now I'm going to post something quite contrary in there, just to alarm those who think they might know me from that list...

No comments: